CAPE TOWN: African football remains plagued by trust issues and questions over its integrity, Confederation of African Football president Patrice Motsepe said on Wednesday. His comments came after Senegal was stripped of the Africa Cup of Nations title. Motsepe defended the decision of his organisation’s Appeal Board to award the trophy to Morocco. They upheld Morocco’s protest over the outcome of the January 18 final. Consequently, the African football integrity debate has intensified.
Senegal won the match in Rabat 1-0. However, they walked off for 14 minutes at the end of regulation time. They protested hosts Morocco being awarded a penalty. Senegal returned to win in extra time. Morocco’s initial protest had been rejected by CAF’s Disciplinary Board. Nevertheless, the same governing body’s Appeal Board found Senegal had transgressed tournament regulations. The walkoff violated the rules. Therefore, Morocco received the title instead.
Motsepe’s Statement
“I previously expressed my extreme disappointment with the incidents that took place at the final,” Motsepe said in a video statement released on Wednesday. “It undermines the good work that CAF has done over many, many years to ensure that there’s integrity, there’s respect, there’s ethics, there’s governance, as well as the credibility of the results of our football matches.”
He acknowledged the deeper problem. “We are still dealing with suspicion and mistrust. It’s a legacy issue. When I became president, one of the major concerns was the impartiality, independence and the respect of referees and match commissioners. A lot of good work has been done,” he insisted. The African football integrity challenge predates his tenure.
Independent Judicial Bodies
Motsepe highlighted that both of CAF’s disciplinary and appeal boards are independent entities. They consist of legal practitioners chosen with help from member associations. “It is important that the decisions of our Disciplinary Board and Appeals Board are viewed with respect and integrity,” he said.
“If you look at the composition of those bodies, they reflect some of the most respected lawyers and judges on the continent.” However, he conceded the perception problem persists. “But we will still have to deal with this perception and concerns about the integrity. It’s an ongoing issue.” Therefore, structural independence alone cannot solve African football integrity concerns.
No Preferential Treatment
Motsepe, who was chosen as CAF president in 2021 and re-elected one year ago, said CAF was committed to fair play. He denied there was any preferential treatment amid perceptions that Morocco have too much sway over the African game. The North African nation has significant influence and resources.
“I’m told that Senegal is going to appeal, which is very important. Every one of the 54 nations in Africa have a right to pursue appeals. We will adhere and respect the decision that’s taken at the highest level.” He emphasized equality among members. “A critical factor is that not a single country in Africa will be treated in a manner that is more preferential, or more advantageous, or more favourable than any other country on the African continent,” the South African billionaire mining magnate added.
Legacy of Suspicion
African football has long struggled with perceptions of bias and corruption. Previous administrations faced accusations of mismanagement. Motsepe’s tenure aimed to restore credibility. However, incidents like the Senegal-Morocco final reopening undermine those efforts. The African football integrity question remains central to CAF’s challenges.
The walkoff itself created controversy. Senegal players left the field in protest. This action violated clear regulations. Yet many observers sympathize with their frustration. The penalty decision appeared questionable. Morocco’s status as hosts added another layer. When hosts benefit from close calls, suspicion naturally follows. CAF must navigate these perceptions while applying rules consistently.
Senegal’s Response
Senegal plans to appeal the decision, according to Motsepe. The defending champions feel aggrieved. They won the match on the field. They returned to complete the game and secured victory in extra time. Now the trophy has been stripped from them months later. The African football integrity system faces its biggest test in handling this appeal.
The Court of Arbitration for Sport may ultimately decide the matter. Both CAF and Senegal would likely accept a CAS ruling. However, the process could take months. Meanwhile, uncertainty surrounds the official champions. Morocco celebrates a disputed title. Senegal protests an injustice. Fans debate what really happened. The beautiful game looks ugly from this angle.
Wider Implications
The controversy affects more than just two nations. It impacts how Africa views its football governance, influences sponsor confidence and broadcaster relationships. It shapes perceptions among global football bodies. FIFA watches how CAF handles such crises. The African football integrity question has international dimensions.
Young players across the continent observe these events. They learn whether merit matters or politics decides. This shapes their relationship with the sport. It affects their dreams and aspirations. CAF’s handling of this case sends messages far beyond the boardroom.
Path Forward
Motsepe emphasizes ongoing work. He acknowledges the problem persists. He points to independent judicial bodies as evidence of progress. However, perception lags behind structural change. Rebuilding trust takes years. One controversy can undo months of effort.
The Senegal-Morocco case will define Motsepe’s legacy on integrity issues. If resolved fairly and transparently, it could strengthen confidence. If handled poorly, it could confirm worst suspicions. The African football integrity challenge requires consistent, visible fairness. Every decision matters. This one matters enormously.